Electric Machete Studios Artist Application 2017 For Directions Exhibition: Weaving Our Traditions Together
Electric Machete Studios invites you to participate in an intertribal Indigenous group exhibition, For Directions, May 20th - July 31st, 2017.
For Directions is a joint exhibition in partnership with All My Relations Arts, Two Rivers Gallery, AIM Interpretive Center, Indigenous Roots, & Electric Machete Studios highlighting the connections between Native and immigrant artists in the Midwest and with international Indigenous peoples of the 4 Directions.
Uniting Indigenous artists of the 4 directions around common themes of decolonization, identity, resistance, & survival especially relating to shared issues with the environment and cultural preservation, Electric Machete Studios seeks works that depict Weaving Our Traditions Together (open to interpretation & artistic disciplines). This exhibition seeks to explore the similarities and celebrate the unique differences of Indigenous world traditions; use of thread, found, contemporary, and natural materials, sacred geometry and mathematics, intergenerational teaching, and functional uses. Weaving Our Traditions Together, we are the fabric of the Earth.
In response to Standing Rock’s fight for clean water, this is an urgent opportunity to foster cross-continental Indigenous alliances in the 21st century in our collective care for Mother Earth.
- Exhibition dates: May 20th - July 31st, 2017.
- Work must be received by the gallery no later than Saturday May 13th.
- Electric Machete Studios is insured and will be very careful when handling your work while it is in our care.
- Approved artists will receive $300 stipend in 2 payments; half after receiving work and half upon completing final evaluation at the end of the exhibition July 31st.
- Shipping support available upon request.
- Opening Reception Saturday May 20, 4-9pm
- June Solstice celebration events June 18-24
For more information & questions please contact:
Rebekah Crisanta de Ybarra, Curator
Electric Machete Studios
777 Smith Ave St. Paul MN 55107
Follow us on Facebook
TO APPLY email the following to email@example.com:
- Full name, Contact Information, Ancestry/Tribal Affiliation, and Artistic Discipline. Can be filled out online.
- Submit your Bio (about 250 words. Tell us about yourself)
- Submit your Artist Statement (about 250 words. Tell us about your art)
- Submit up to 5 work samples (photos, videos, or pdf documents)
- Submit your work sample list:
Dimensions height x width x depth
Price. If not for sale, list as NFS.
- Submit your resume (up to 2 pages)—OPTIONAL